Thursday, September 28, 2006

Closed Captioned by the Gramatically Impaired?

This morning, I'm at Boot Camp at the Y, sweating it out on the ArcTrainer (which is my new favorite machine in the gym, I love it!) and I'm plugged into the little audio theater system they have going, watching the morning news. Well, since not everyone is lucky enough to have headphones on hand (or on ear, as it may be...) each television has the closed captioning on.
Anyway, I'm watching as Matt O'Donnell gives the latest and greatest on world news, and he refers to something regarding the "Venezuelan" government...

Only the closed captioning says, "Vein as whale."

Now, I understand that it is probably rather difficult to keep up with how fast the anchors speak, however... WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE? I myself am a lightning fast typist, averaging about 85 WPM without mistakes, and I can get close to 100 wpm with errors... I too find it very hard to keep up with dictation, even when it's coming from my boss in the next room. But "vein as whale?" Come on now. it probably took just as much time to type that, as it would have to figure out Venezuelan, even if it wasn't spelled properly... (I say this because I just tried typing Venezuelan and found myself questioning the order of the letters!)

So as I'm wrapping up my workout, finding myself picking up each and every last mistake I can see... and I'm thinking to myself, I can do this! How does one go about getting a job as a closed captioning translator/reporter/person? Is this a high paying job? (I'm guessing not...) Is there room for growth? But it sure seems like it might be fun, to translate everything the people on TV are saying for those who don't have the luxury of hearing. I'm sure that someone who is seasoned in the job and has their margin of error down significantly can sneak in the occasional joke or spoof of a word, but VEIN AS WHALE? What language are these people hearing? And why on earth would the VEIN AS WHALE government be doing anything that anyone cares about? LOL

I just found it rather amusing. And quite honestly, I'm looking forward to my 6:30 am cardio sessions at the Y, just so I can observe the closed captioning mishaps!

And I shall now begin my campaign to become a closed captioning artiste.

No comments: